AR-15 has been one of the most popular rifles in the United States. In today’s market, there are many gears and additional accessories available to be added on to your AR-15. All of them serve various purposes from providing comfort to reducing recoil. If you are looking for more information of the different parts for AR-15 rifle, check it out here.
One of the necessary gear that your AR-15 should have is a foregrip. There are many types of foregrip in the market and all of them are made to help reduce recoil and for you to have better control over your AR-15 when firing.
Types of Foregrip
Similar with the magwell grip we discussed, we will be looking at some of the best vertical and angled foregrips in the market for this review. Before we move on to that, let’s have a look at what is a vertical and angled foregrip to help you in making a decision on which foregrip to buy.
Vertical foregrips are one of the most commonly used foregrips for an AR-15 rifle. It gives you an extra handle at the front of your AR-15 to grip. Another name that the military uses for a vertical foregrip is “broomstick”. Nowadays, many vertical foregrips are designed with a built-in compartment to store small objects.
A vertical foregrip is a good choice for you if you are looking to fire large amounts of rounds rapidly. This is because the barrel can get very hot for you to hold and that is where the vertical foregrip can be useful. One of the downsides of a vertical foregrip is that it can be a little bulky compared to other grips.
An angled foregrip is a foregrip that is designed based on the human body. It is to allow your hand to rest comfortably on the grip as some shooters might find that it gives them better control when firing a large amount quickly.
The angled foregrip is good if you are looking to reduce fatigue for shooting over a long time period as the pressure is more focused on your shoulder and less on your hand. However, you may require a glove as the barrel of your AR-15 can get hot after shooting a large amount for a long time.
Best AR-15 Foregrips You Can Get – Reviewed
After understanding what are vertical and angled foregrips, let’s have a look at some of the best foregrips for your AR-15 in the market.
1. Magpul – MOE MVG Vertical Grip
Magpul is a well-known brand for its high-quality and well-designed products. It has made many phenomenal accessories and the Magpul MOE MVG Vertical Grip is no exception.
The Magpul MOE MVG Vertical Grip is a foregrip that is designed for your hand to be closer to the AR-15 barrel. Allowing you to gain more control when shooting. It is a carefully designed foregrip to ensure that it does not add extra weight to your AR-15.
The detailed design of this vertical foregrip is to allow a natural handle around the grip and to ensure the shooter’s comfort. The grip is also textured to prevent slipping when shooting under wet conditions. The textured grip also allows the “thumb break” gripping method and for you to hold it tightly.
The best way to mount the Magpul MOE MVG Vertical Grip is on the MOE handguards. It does not require any special mounting or accessories and can be mounted easily on to the MOE handguards.
The Bushmaster ACR handguards are also another handguard that the Magpul MOE MVG Vertical Grip can be mounted on. Just like the MOE handguards, no accessory rails are required to mount the foregrip.
The Magpul MOE MVG Vertical Grip can be mounted to most handguards with ease or with an accessory rail. However, it cannot be mounted on an M-Lok slot.
- Lightweight – Very lightweight, does not add unnecessary weight on your AR-15.
- Easy to install – Easily mounted on to handguards without the use of any accessory rail.
- Allows different grip methods – Can be gripped with the traditional gripping method or the “thumb break” gripping method.
- Grips easily – Textured grip allowing you to grip tightly under wet conditions.
- Good compatibility – Can be mounted on to MOE handguards and Bushmaster ACR handguards.
- Not compatible with M-LOK slots – Cannot be mounted on to AR-15s with an M-Lok slot.
2. Bravo Company Picatinny Gunfighter Mod 3 Foregrip
The Bravo Company Picatinny Gunfighter Mod 3 Vertical Grip is not the typical rounded vertical grip. It is carefully designed to be low-profile thick grip and to help increase mobility and reduce snagging when in the field.
It is made to give you a better handle and to reduce grip fatigue or numbness. It is commonly experienced when shooting for a long time with a typical foregrip. The Bravo Company Picatinny Gunfighter Mod 3 Vertical Grip is slightly angled to give a better ergonomic grip. The slight angle makes it a good hand stop for shooters who use thumb forward or thumb over grips.
This vertical grip is textured to improve your grip and for better control over your AR-15. It is also capable of being a stop for barricade support. Due to the short design, some shooters may find it difficult to grip it fully.
The Bravo Company Picatinny Gunfighter Mod 3 Vertical Grip only mounts to a picatinny rail. An adapter will be required if your AR-15 has a different handguard. However, it is not difficult finding an adaptor for common handguards like KeyMod or M-Lok.
- Low chance of snagging – Short and stubby, therefore, reducing the chances of snagging and increasing mobility.
- Good handle – Textured grip better handle and designed to reduce grip fatigue or numbness.
- Versatile – Can be used as a stop for barricade support. Angled to be used as a hand stop for various grips.
- Good compatibility – Compatible with picatinny rail and can easily get an adaptor for other handguards.
- Not for a shooter with big hands – The grip is short and difficult to fully grip it if you have a big hand.
3. GG&G AR-15 Vertical Grip
The GG&G AR-15 Vertical Grip is not like any other vertical foregrip. It is a vertical grip that is designed with a hollow core to store small objects such as batteries and AR-15 bolts. The compartment is also waterproof which makes it a good storage location for these small items.
The hollow core uses an O ring seal to make sure that the compartment is sealed and watertight. The interior compartment of this grip is also designed to firmly hold an AR-15 bolt without any rattling. The compartment is also created to be opened without any tools and a Tri-grip cap to make sure that it does not snag.
The GG&G AR-15 Vertical Grip is made of Acetal cold polymer which has low heat absorption and can be very important when in burst or sustained firing. This grip is also meant to be installed easily with an alignment window as a guide for quick installation.
This vertical grip is a grip that is made for the AR-15 and can be mounted on to a picatinny rail with ease.
- Good for a shooter with big hands – The grip is long enough for someone with a big hand to fully grip it.
- Durable – Made with Acetal cold polymer which is a durable material.
- Low heat absorption – Would not get hot easily after shooting for a long time.
- Waterproof storage compartment – Waterproof compartment to store small items like batteries and bolt.
- Easy to install – Alignment window available to aid in installation.
- Designed for low snagging – Use of Tri-grip cap to reduce the chance of snagging.
- Not textured – Harder to grip if your hands sweat or when using it under wet conditions.
- Not versatile – Only compatible with picatinny rail and meant for AR-15/M-16 only.
4. Mid-Evil Industries 360 RFG Vertical Foregrip
The Mid-Evil Industries 360 RFG Vertical Grip is a special grip that is nothing like the grips that are mentioned in this review. It is an innovative foregrip designed by Mid-Evil Industries. This foregrip is a hybrid of an angled foregrip and a vertical foregrip as it can be rotated to any angle.
This foregrip features a 360° rotation where you can turn the grip back, forward or to the side if you prefer. You can adjust the grip to your desired angle as it is rotated on a ball pivot at its base. After rotating to the desired angle, you can easily tighten the end and lock it in place.
The Mid-Evil Industries 360 RFG Vertical Grip is slightly heavier compared to most of the foregrips because it is made of aluminium. This rotating foregrip is also made with a built-in compartment to store small items such as batteries or small shooting accessories.
The Mid-Evil Industries 360 RFG Vertical Grip is a good foregrip for the AR-15 as it is compatible with the common AR-15 rail, picatinny. Male extensions will be needed to make sure that the grip does not come loose and stay locked in place.
Mid-Evil Industries also have grips that are compatible with other handguards such as KeyMod and M-LOK. However, you will need to purchase them individually based on the handguard that you have for your AR-15.
- Innovative – An evolutionary product that is new in the market.
- Versatile – Can be rotated to be an angled foregrip or a vertical foregrip.
- Textured grip – Good handle with a textured grip to hold tightly when shooting in wet conditions.
- Built-in compartment – Small built-in compartment available to store small items or accessories.
- Durable construction – Made with aluminium which can last very long.
- Slightly harder to install – Unlike the other foregrips mentioned, this foregrip requires an extension for it to stay locked in place.
- May not last as long – Turning the foregrip too much may lead to a faster deterioration of the foregrip.
5. Magpul M-Lok Angled Foregrip
The Magpul M-Lok Angled Foregrip is a simple yet functional angled foregrip. This angled foregrip is an improvement from the previous angled foregrips made by Magpul. It is lighter yet manages to maintain its strength and durability.
While this model of angled foregrip may be shorter, the surface area is still big enough for you to grip. This angled foregrip is a great choice for shooters who prefer to use a thumb-over-bore grip. Shooters who use a traditional grip may find that it angles down the hand slightly at the bottom. It is also designed in a way that the front end of the grip can be used as a small stop against a barricade.
This angled foregrip cups the hand and can give you a comfortable grip when holding your AR-15. The Magpul M-Lok Angled Foregrip also has reference points for your hand. It is made so that your hand is always positioned at the centreline of the bore. That way you will be able to feel less recoil and be able to control your AR-15 better.
The Magpul M-Lok Angled Foregrip is made for the M-Lok slot. It can easily be mounted on to an M-Lok slot. As for other rails like KeyMod and picatinny, an adaptor will be required to fit the foregrip.
- Improved – An upgraded version of a previous Magpul angled foregrip.
- Lightweight – Weighed at only 1.2 oz, does not add too much weight to your AR-15.
- Easy to mount – Can be easily mounted to an M-Lok slot.
- Low profile – Simple design, does not easily catch others attention.
- Versatile grip method – Allows you to use different gripping techniques, not limited to one only.
- Reducing fatigue – Carefully designed to feel less recoil and resulting in reduced fatigue.
- M-Lok slot only – Made to be mounted on the M-Lok slot only. Additional accessories required to be mounted on other handguards.
6. Bravo Company – Picatinny BCMGUNFIGHTER KAG Angled Grip
The Bravo Company – Picatinny BCMGUNFIGHTER KAG Angled Grip is a small Kinesthetic Angled Grip. This foregrip uses a front rake that is positioned in a way that results in good retention when firing your AR-15. What it basically means is that it gives you a positioning that will naturally allow the AR-15 to be better retained.
With this design, you will be able to control your AR-15 better and resulting in reduced recoil and improved accuracy. Besides that, the design of the Bravo Company – Picatinny BCMGUNFIGHTER KAG Angled Grip also helps to reduce pressure on shoulder, wrist and elbow.
You will be able to get a good firm grip on this angled foregrip as it is textured at both front and back. The textured grip will allow you to shoot during wet conditions without worrying about losing grip.
This design of the Bravo Company – Picatinny BCMGUNFIGHTER KAG Angled Grip is only compatible with the picatinny rail. It can be mounted on easily without the use of any additional accessories.
To mount on other handguards, an adaptor will be required. However, there are the same grips for different handguards sold by the Bravo Company as well.
- Lightweight – Very lightweight, does not add unnecessary weight on your AR-15.
- Good retention – Allows you to position in a way that your AR-15 is easily retained.
- Textured grip – Able to easily get a firm grip even under wet conditions or if your hands get sweaty.
- Easily attached – Can easily be mounted on to the picatinny rail without additional accessories.
- Does not add width – Since this angled foregrip is very small, it hardly adds any width to your AR-15.
- Only for picatinny rail – Additional adaptors will be required if you are using a different handguard.
- Not good for shooters with big hands – Might be too small for some shooter to firmly grasp the foregrip.
7. Magpul AFG2 Angled Foregrip
The Magpul AFG2 Angled Foregrip is an upgraded version of an earlier product by Magpul, the AFG1 foregrip. This upgraded foregrip is a smaller and shorter version compared to the AFG1 foregrip. Even though it is smaller in size, the quality is still maintained.
The Magpul AFG2 Angled Foregrip is also a textured foregrip. The textured grip allows for a better grip even under wet conditions or if your hand gets sweaty. At the end of the foregrip, there is a small tab that can be used as a barricade stop.
This foregrip has a steeper angle compared to a conventional angled foregrip. The steep angle is good for you if you prefer using a thumb-forward grip or just prefer the foregrip to be slightly more vertical. However, if you prefer using a thumb-over grip, you might find it awkward when using the Magpul AFG2 Angled Foregrip.
The design of this angled foregrip allows the shooter’s hand to be positioned closer to the centerline of the bore. It gives a more natural position of your body and can help to improve the accuracy of your shots.
The Magpul AFG2 Angled Foregrip will be compatible with your AR-15 rail if your AR-15 uses a picatinny rail. This angled foregrip can be mounted on easily to the picatinny rail. No additional accessories required to be mounted on to the picatinny rail.
If your AR-15 uses a different rail than a picatinny, you will need to buy an adaptor to mount this foregrip. However, there are other available options for a different handguard like KeyMod and M-Lok slots.
- Textured grip – The grip is textured and has finger grooves to make sure that your hand doesn’t slip under wet conditions or when your hand starts sweating.
- Versatile – Can be mounted on to any picatinny rail mount easily.
- Improved version – An upgraded version of a previous product.
- Small – Does not take up too much space.
- Good grip angle – Slightly steeper than normal, good for a thumb-forward grip or if you prefer to have a more vertical grip.
- Awkward for other grip techniques – Only good for certain gripping techniques. Other techniques like the thumb-over grip will find it awkward.
8. Stark Express SE-5 Express
The Stark Express SE-5 Express is a hybrid of a vertical foregrip and an angled foregrip. It is angled at 45-degree to the rear and specifically designed for shooters that prefer to shoot with their support hand far forward on the handguard. You will be able to control and manage the recoil better by gripping your AR-15 further forward.
This foregrip is made in a way that your forearm and hand are in a better and more natural position making you feel more comfortable. The grip is coated with Armorsoft coating giving the grip a texture that does not slip easily and able to withstand harsh weather and conditions.
The Stark Express SE-5 Express also features a built-in compartment that can be accessed from the grip plug in the bottom. The storage compartment can be used to store small items like batteries or small gun parts for your AR-15.
In addition, the Stark Express SE-5 Express is also suitable for shooters who usually grip the handguard with the common thumb-over-bore gripping technique. This foregrip is designed for shooters that prefer the thumb-over-bore gripping technique.
The Stark Express SE-5 Express can be easily mounted on to the common AR-15 rail, the picatinny rails. It can be mounted securely and quickly without the use of any extra accessories. Since it is designed specifically for the AR-15, it is not available for other handguards like KeyMod and M-Lok slots.
- Additional storage compartment – Able to store small objects or gun parts in the compartment.
- Textured grip – Coated with Armorsoft to give a textured grip. Prevents your hand from slipping when shooting under wet conditions.
- Durable finish – Armorsoft coating can withstand harsh environments allowing the foregrip to last longer.
- Fits picatinny rail – Can be easily mounted on to picatinny rail which is a standard AR-15 rail.
- Good for thumb-over-bore grip – Thumb-over-bore grip is a common gripping technique used by AR-15 shooters.
- Only fits picatinny rail – Not versatile, cannot be mounted on the other handguards easily.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can you put a foregrip on an AR-15?
A: Yes. You can put a foregrip on your AR-15 as long as it is registered as a rifle. As for an AR that is registered as a pistol, putting a foregrip on it will convert it into an AOW.
Q: Are foregrips worth it?
A: Yes. It helps you to control the recoil and handle your gun better. However, it is not effective for long and precise shots.