|Magazine Couplers||Name||Editor’s Comment||Rating||Get The Best Deal|
|Boonie Packer Products AR-15 Improved Redi-Mag||
Most Recommended Option
1. Closed top design
|10/10||Check Current Price|
|Fab Defense Ultimag 10R Pentagon Magazine Coupler||1. Legal in most states
2. Holds up to 5 magazines
|9.5/10||Check Current Price|
|Magpul Industries AR-15 Maglink Magazine Coupler||1. Easy to install
2. Keeps magazine secured
3. Quick magazine swaps
|9.0/10||Check Current Price|
|Lancer Systems AR-15 L5 Magazine Coupler||1. Durable
2. Won’t break magazines
3. Perfect alignment
|8.5/10||Check Current Price|
|Command Arms Accessories AR-15 Aluminum Magazine Coupler||1. Can be tightened
2. Won’t scratch magazines
|8.0/10||Check Current Price|
A magazine coupler is sometimes associated with the idea of causing malfunctions, it left a negative impression on many shooters. However, the magazine couplers in today’s market are better and improved and not likely to cause any malfunctions but rather improve your overall shooting experience.
Using a magazine coupler is a very good way of storing your spare magazines. Besides using it as a storage for your spare magazines, it can also help to improve your reloading speed since you don’t have to reach out to your pockets or pouches to reload. Simply release the magazine and you have another waiting for you.
Even for magazine coupler, there are good and bad ones. The good ones are the magazine couplers that can really change your overall performance to be better and the bad ones usually just do the opposite and sometimes make things worse.
Here are some of the things that makes a good magazine coupler for AR-15 rifles.
To Know A Good Magazine Coupler:
- Material – The material of the magazine coupler is a crucial feature that determines if the magazine coupler is good or bad. What it is made out of will determine how long the magazine coupler can last and whether it can really do its job in holding the spare magazine. High-quality materials like polymers are likely going to last for a long time and can withstand harsh conditions. On the contrary, a bad material magazine coupler is likely to break easily or even damage your magazine.
- Functionality – A good magazine coupler should be able to allow you to release your magazine as quick and as smoothly as possible, it shouldn’t be an obstruction to your reload. It should also keep your spare magazine secured when firing or when you are moving around. If the magazine coupler is not able to do that, then it wouldn’t really be considered as a good magazine coupler. It would be more of a nuisance.
Definition of good and bad can vary from person to person, the guideline above is just a general way of determining whether a magazine coupler is good or not. At the end of the day, it will still depend on you to decide what you want from a magazine coupler and for you to determine if that is good or bad.
Top 5 Best AR-15 Magzine Couplers – Reviewed
With that said, let’s look at some of the best AR-15 magazine couplers that you can get in today’s market.
1. Magpul Industries AR-15 Maglink Magazine Coupler
This AR-15 magazine coupler is made specifically for the Magpul PMAGs. The Magpul Industries AR-15 Maglink Magazine Coupler can be very useful if you have a few 30-round PMAGs that are scattered around. This magazine coupler allows you to hold two of these 30-round PMAGstogether.
When clamping the two 30-round PMAGs together with the Magpul Industries AR-15 Maglink Magazine Coupler, it’s almost as if you are having 60 rounds for your AR-15. The PMAGs will be clamped next to each other allowing you to reload quickly. Who wouldn’t enjoy firing extra 30-rounds with just a simple attachment for your AR-15 magazine?
The Magpul Industries AR-15 Maglink Magazine Coupler is also one of the most common AR-15 magazine couplers. It is made out of a lightweight reinforced polymer so that you can use this magazine coupler as rough as you wish and it won’t break easily. The weight of this magazine coupler is only 2.8oz ensuring that it doesn’t add unnecessary weight on your AR-15.
If you are afraid that the magazines might come loose from the Magpul Industries AR-15 Maglink Magazine Coupler, there are enough features that can keep the 30-round PMAGs in place. It has two steel bolts that secure the magazines in place and to prevent it from rattling when firing. There are also internal grooves to further secure the magazines and to prevent slipping.
While this magazine coupler may be designed for Magpul 30 and 40 round PMAGs, other polymer magazines should fit just as well considering that most polymer magazines are shaped similarly. However, it is good to check if it fits before buying it.
- Easy to install – Can easily be installed. May just a need a screwdriver to tighten the bolts.
- Keeps magazine secured – Steel bolts with internal grooves to keep magazines in place and prevent slippage.
- Quick magazine swaps – Magazines aligned side-by-side for most efficient magazine swap.
- Strong construction – Lightweight reinforced polymer can withstand harsh conditions and can last very long.
- Only fit PMAGs and some polymer magazines – Only designed for Magpul PMAGs and not all polymer magazines can fit.
2. FAB Defense Ultimag 10R Pentagon MC
The FAB Defense Ultimag 10R Pentagon Magazine Coupler is one of the most unique magazine couplers in the market. It is a representation of innovation, creativity and fun in the modern firearms world. As the name suggests, this AR-15 magazine coupler is shaped like a pentagon which means it can accommodate up to five magazines. For some people, it can be something appealing or frightening.
One of the interesting features about the FAB Defense Ultimag 10R Pentagon Magazine Coupler is that it doesn’t just come as a magazine coupler. There are also five 10-round magazines that come as a package with this magazine coupler. If you are looking to hold up to five magazines, this magazine coupler is a good choice for you.
With five magazines of 10-rounds, there is a total of 50 rounds but bear in mind, you will not be able to shoot all 50 rounds at once. You will need to release the magazine and insert a new one to continue firing after 10-rounds. 10-round may seem little but it is a limit that is legal in the United States.
The FAB Defense Ultimag 10R Pentagon Magazine Coupler is compatible with most of the AR-15 variants or if you have an M16 or an M4, it is compatible as well. However, the FAB Defense Ultimag 10R Pentagon Magazine Coupler is made explicitly for the FAB Defense’s Ultimag AR magazines only.
The Fab Defense Ultimag 10R Pentagon Magazine Coupler is made of high-grade polymer making it a very durable magazine coupler. High-quality magazine coupler and uniquely designed that also lasts for a long time can be very appealing to many shooters. On top of that, it is also not extremely expensive so if you are looking for something special and affordable, the Fab Defense Ultimag 10R Pentagon Magazine Coupler can satisfy those criteria.
- Legal in most states – Legal in states with slightly stricter gun laws too.
- Durable – High-grade polymer construction making sure that the magazine coupler lasts long.
- Unique – Creative and special design that is not commonly seen.
- Holds up to 5 magazines – For shooters that prefer to hold more than two magazines and up to 50-rounds.
- Only FAB Defense’s Ultimag AR magazines only – Designed for a specific AR magazine only.
3. Command Arms Accessories AR-15 Aluminum Magazine Coupler
For shooters that have aluminium AR-15 magazines, don’t worry, the Command Arms Accessories AR-15 Aluminum Magazine Coupler is a magazine coupler made to hold steel and aluminium magazines securely.
Sometimes when you clamp the magazines too tightly, it may get out of shape but the Command Arms Accessories AR-15 Aluminum Magazine Coupler is made for these kinds of magazines so you don’t have to worry about your magazines getting out of shape.
Besides warping the magazines from overtightening the magazine couplers, sometimes it may break the magazines. However, the Command Arms Accessories AR-15 Aluminum Magazine Coupler implements a smart “box design” that prevents the magazines from breaking if you do overtighten it. Apart from preventing the magazines from breaking, this magazine coupler will not scratch the magazines too.
The Command Arms Accessories AR-15 Aluminum Magazine Coupler is made of lightweight polymer and is designed with thick walls to avoid breakage when used under harshly. This AR-15 magazine coupler also has three adjustment screws to help secure the magazines in place. The gap between magazines is also wide enough that allows you to quickly change your magazines.
This may be a magazine coupler for steel or aluminium AR-15 magazines, but it is also compatible with polymer magazines. However, not all polymer magazines will fit.
- Won’t break or warp steel or aluminium magazines – Designed to keep magazines secured without breaking it or making it go out of shape.
- Can be tightened – Screws available to tighten the magazine coupler and to make sure magazines stay in place and won’t fall out.
- Won’t scratch magazines – Designed to make sure that the interior of the magazine coupler does not scratch the magazines.
- Lightweight – Does not add unnecessary weight to your AR-15.
- Does not fit all types of magazines – Only fit steel or aluminium magazines and some polymer magazines.
4. Lancer Systems AR-15 L5 MC
The Lancer Systems AR-15 L5 Magazine Coupler is a great choice AR-15 magazine coupler that is lightweight and also extremely strong. This magazine coupler is made from reinforced polymer and also has a steel clamping system that allows you to hold up to two magazines for your AR-15.
This AR-15 magazine coupler is also perfectly aligned that makes sure that you are able to change your AR-15 magazines and to take your next shot as quickly as possible. Besides making sure that you can change magazines quickly, the Lancer Systems AR-15 L5 Magazine Coupler also makes sure that the magazines stay secured.
The Lancer Systems AR-15 L5 Magazine Coupler is made for the Lancer L5 magazines and also USGI-contour aluminium and steel magazines. This AR-15 magazine coupler is designed for the shape of these magazines to fit perfectly and to make sure they stay secure. With this AR-15 magazine coupler, you won’t have to worry about overtightening your magazines and breaking them because there are aluminium spacers to prevent that from happening.
These features of the Lancer Systems AR-15 L5 Magazine Coupler can be beneficial if you are using it in competitions. It is lightweight so it keeps you agile and it holds your AR-15 magazines securely so it won’t slip when you are shooting or moving around. It also makes sure that you can reload as quickly as possible.
- Durable – Made of reinforced polymer and has a steel clamping system making sure that this magazine coupler can last a long time.
- Won’t break magazines – Designed to fit L5 and USGI magazines perfectly and aluminium spacer to prevent overtightening.
- Perfect alignment – Allows for quicker reload.
- Lightweight – Does not add unnecessary weight to your AR-15.
- Only fits certain magazines – Only fit L5 and USGI magazines, may not fit other magazines.
5. Boonie Packer Products AR-15 Improved Redi-Mag Coupler
This is a special magazine coupler that doesn’t attach to another magazine. The Boonie Packer Products AR-15 Improved Redi-Mag is a magazine coupler that attaches to the lower receiver of your AR-15 instead. It allows you to hold an extra magazine for your AR-15 without attaching it to any of your magazines.
Sometimes when attaching an extra magazine, there is some pressure on your existing magazine and it may cause malfunctions. With the Boonie Packer Products AR-15 Improved Redi-Mag, you can keep a spare magazine without damaging your magazine or AR-15.
The Boonie Packer Products AR-15 Improved Redi-Mag has a closed-top design so that the rounds inside the spare magazine are protected from rain and dirt and also secured in place to avoid movements when under recoil.
This AR-15 magazine coupler also uses a separate magazine release system so that it only comes out when you press on its magazine release button. The Boonie Packer Products AR-15 Improved Redi-Mag may slow down the reloading process a bit because you need to release your initial magazine first, release the spare magazine and finish your reload. Compared to a typical magazine coupler where you only need to release the magazine once, this may take longer.
The Boonie Packer Products AR-15 Improved Redi-Mag is made of aluminium so unlike some of the polymer magazine coupler, it can last longer. Installation of this AR-15 magazine coupler is also pretty straight forward. Nothing needs to be changed to your AR-15 lower receiver to install this magazine coupler.
- Attaches to the lower receiver rather than your magazine – Can use any magazine you want as spare and reduce pressure on the main magazine to avoid malfunctions.
- Closed top design – No contact with rain, dirt or dust and won’t rattle under recoil.
- Better durability – Aluminium construction can last longer than polymer construction.
- A separate magazine release system – Only releases spare magazine when you press on the magazine release on this magazine coupler.
- Slower reload – Goes through a long process to get the spare magazine reloaded and may need some time to get used to it.
Our Thoughts – The Best Overall AR-15 Magazine Coupler
The best AR-15 magazine coupler overall would be the Magpul Industries AR-15 Maglink Magazine Coupler. This is a magazine coupler that is compatible with one of the most common AR-15 magazines which are the Magpul PMAGs.
It allows you to be able to carry up to two 30 or 40 round magazines so you don’t have to spend too much time getting a new magazine reloaded in your AR-15. This lets you fire more rounds in a shorter period of time. Overall, it will improve your shooting experience and increase satisfaction.
The Magpul Industries AR-15 Maglink Magazine Coupler is also lightweight so it doesn’t add unnecessary weight to your AR-15.
If you are looking for a magazine coupler to hold your spare Magpul PMAGs, the Magpul Industries AR-15 Maglink Magazine Coupler is a great choice for you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: How many AR mags is enough?
A: Typically, 30 magazines of 30 rounds each is more than enough for your AR-15. After a while, just about 10 magazines of 30 rounds will do.
Q: How many rounds of ammunition do soldiers carry?
A: An average rifleman carries about 150 to 240 rounds of ammunition. That would be about 5 to 8 magazines. Soldiers would also try to minimize the weight they carry on them so the more magazines they carry the harder it is for them to travel.
Q: Are AR-15 magazines universal?
A: Yes. AR-15/M-16 magazines are designed according to the NATO standards. This is to make sure that the magazines are able to fit another rifle.
Q: Can you tape magazines together?
A: Yes you can. But it is not recommended to do so. If you tape your magazines together, one of it will have to face up and the other facing down. This will cause your AR-15 to be taller overall and can be very troublesome when prone.
Hello there, it’s Michael here. A gun lover since young, served the country for the last 20 years. I started the blog to share my experience and gun-related knowledge accumulated throughout the years. Hopefully, you will find something useful over here or just have fun! You can learn more about me here.